Take 2-Sweet Potatoes

All I can say after this past weekend of planting is wow!  The difference between last year and this year was huge.  I don’t know if you read my blog last year and really got the picture, but we had no clue.  My hubby and I both were excited to start a new adventure, but we made big mistakes that ended up costing us money in the long run.  Last year my whole world shut completely down and afterwards it took me weeks to recover.  This year was so much smoother and I can’t even explain how much better I feel.  This year we knew we already had one big cost saver and that was the fact we had planted our own slips.  We did that back in about late March and we did all the work ourselves, so hey they were pretty much free!  So the week before our plant day, my hubby, me, and this young guy we have hired got out cut as many slips as we could.  We ended up with about 40 boxes or I was figuring 30,000 slips.  We knew on the first day last year we had planted about 15 boxes, so we figured that was a good number to start with.  The plan was to plant all those slips and maybe come back with the helpers and cut some more slips on day 1.  We weren’t really sure if that would happen that fast, but we knew it was a good shot.  The night before my hubby made some final adjustments to his machine and it was working much better than last year.  The plant depth was perfect and we practiced running faster than last year.  Then on the day of our first plant day, I woke up and didn’t have a babysitter.  Last year I had to do a lot of the work so I was worried about not having someone to watch the boys.  It was all good though we loaded up plenty of toys and headed to the field.  It ended up working out perfect, because then all I had to do was be a runner.  I was able to take plants across the field and pick up used boxes quickly.  I could run go get plants out of the cooler and by mid morning all the stress was gone.  My boys and I actually really enjoyed riding around in the field and staying cool in the shade at times.  They played in the dirt and I stayed busy keeping things running smoothly.  Plus I didn’t feel guilty when I slipped away to take the boys to their T-ball celebration picnic on Saturday. (Which I really didn’t want them to miss)  They finished up the first 40 boxes by about 12:30 and then took a lunch break and started working on cutting slips.  Amazingly with 8 people they got 45 boxes cut in about 4 hours and we were finished by 5 that day.  I had to run boxes back and forth to put a cooler that we borrowed for the day. Yayyy no plants in my living room this year.  My hubby was planning on that 45 boxes to finish up the field, but of course it didn’t.  On day 2, they planted all 45 boxes by about 1:00 and had to come back and cut 10 more boxes so that they could finish.  Everything was done and cleaned up by 4!  We celebrated by hosing the kids down with the extra water that we had brought to the field and kicking back to watch the potatoes grow!  After everything was finished I sat down and done the math.  We actually planted the same about of plants on the 3 acres, that we planted all together last year.  So if all goes well that one field will yield just as many potatoes as we did last year!  That makes me excited and nervous at the same time, because we have to find places to store all those potatoes……


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s